METADATA IN ENGLISH

About the journal

NAUKA I TEKHNOLOGICHESKIE RAZRABOTKI (SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS), ISSN: 2079-5165, eISSN: 2410-7948, DOI: 10.21455/std; https://elibrary.ru/title_about.asp?id=32295; http://std.ifz.ru/. The journal was founded in 1992.

SEISMICITY AS A REACTION OF THE GEOLOGICAL MEDIUM TO PLANETARY HYDROGEN DEGASSING (ON THE EXAMPLE
OF THE KAMCHATKA REGION)

PART 1: PRINCIPLES OF MONITORING THE ACTIVE GEOLOGICAL MEDIUM. CONTRADICTIONS BETWEEN
THE DISCONTINUOUS MODEL OF THE SEISMIC PROCESS
AND THE DEGASSING MODEL

I.L. Gufeld1, O.N. Novoselov2

1 Schmidt Institute of Physics of the Earth, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia

2 Bauman Moscow State Technical University, Moscow, Russia

Corresponding author: I.L. Gufeld, e-mail: igufeld@korolev-net.ru

Highlights

Criticism of the discontinuous ideology of the seismic process

The influence of hydrogen degassing on the structure of the geological medium is considered

A model of crustal seismicity of the subduction zone is proposed

Principles and methods for monitoring the state of the active geological medium are proposed

A method for predicting the background seismic situation of the subduction zone is proposed

Abstract. The physics of the seismic process in the subduction zone is discussed. It is proposed to replace the discontinuous ideology of the process with a degassing one. It is shown that hydrogen degassing controls the volume-stress state and structural features of the medium to the depths of the upper mantle. Models of crustal seismic events that exclude the processes of elastic stress accumulation and destruction are proposed. The concept of internal activity of the geological medium due to the interaction of ascending hydrogen fluxes with the solid phase is introduced. A method for monitoring medium with active internal energy sources is proposed. Difference equations for the evolution of the state of the medium are used, which are constructed and corrected based on the results of measurements of structurally sensitive seismic wave velocities. The methodology for predicting the background state of the active medium is shown.

Keywords: subduction zone, hydrogen degassing, seismic process, geological medium, equation of state of the medium

Cite this article as: Gufeld I.L., Novoselov O.N. Seismicity as a reaction of the geological medium to planetary hydrogen degassing (on the example of the Kamchatka region). Part 1. Principles of monitoring the active geological medium. Contradictions between the discontinuous model of the seismic process and the degassing model, Nauka i Tekhnologicheskie Razrabotki (Science and Technological Developments), 2020, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 19–45. [in Russian.]. https://doi.org/10.21455/std2020.3-3

Funding

This work was carried out within the framework of the State Task of Schmidt Institute of Physics of the Earth of the Russian Academy of Sciences and Bauman Moscow State Technical University.

Ethics declarations

The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest.

References

Adushkin, V.V., An, V.A., Gamburtseva, N.G., Daragan, S.N., Luk, E.I., Ovchinnikov, V.N., Sejsmicheskij monitoring litosfery pri pomoshchi yadernyh vzryvov. Atlas vremen-nyh variacij prirodnyh, antropogennyh i social'nyh processov (Seismic monitoring of the lithosphere using nuclear explosions. Atlas of time variations of natural, anthropogenic and social processes), Moscow, Nauchny Mir, 1998, vol. 2, pp. 145–150. [in Russian].

Adushkin, V.V., An, V.A., Kaazik, P.B., Ovchinnikov, V.M., On dynamic processes in internal geospheres of the earth on travel times of seismic waves, Doklady RAN (Reports of the Russian Academy of Sciences), 2001, vol. 381, no. 6, pp. 822–824. [in Russian].

An, V.A., Lyuke, E.I., Cyclic changes of the parameters of the seismic wave P on the Nevada-Borovoe highway, Fizika Zemli (Physics of the Earth), 1992, no. 4, pp. 20–31.

Boldina, S.V., Kopylova, G.N., Effects of the Zhupanov earthquake on January 30, 2016, Mw=7.2, in changes of the water level in wells SW-5 and E-1, Kamchatka, Geodynamics and Tectonophysics, 2017, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 863–880.

Boldyrev, S.A., The effect of the lithospheric structure and properties on the seismic field of the Kamchatka region, Izvestiya, Physics of the solid Earth, 2002, no. 6, pp. 447–468.

Brace, W.F., Byerlee, J.D., Stick-slip as a mechanism for earthquake, Science, 1966, vol. 153, pp. 990–992.

Dobrovolsky, I.P., Mekhanika podgotovki tektonicheskogo zemletryaseniya (Mechanics of tectonic earthquake preparation), Moscow, Nauka, 1984, 190 p. [in Russian].

Dobrovolsky, I.P., Teoriya podgotovki tektonicheskogo zemletryaseniya (Theory of tectonic earthquake preparation), Moscow, IFZ RAS, 1991.219 p. [in Russian].

Doda, L.N., Natyaganov, V.L., Stepanov, I.V., Empirical scheme of short-term earthquake forecast, Doklady RAN (Reports of the Russian Academy of Sciences), 2013, vol. 453, no. 5, pp. 551–557. [in Russian].

Dinamicheskie processy v geofizicheskoj srede (Dynamic processes in the geophysical environment), Ed. A.V. Nikolaev, Moscow, Nauka, 1994, 255 p. [in Russian].

Fedotov, S.A., Dolgosrochnyj sejsmicheskij prognoz dlya Kurilo-Kamchatskoj zony (Long-Term seismic forecast for the Kuril-Kamchatka zone), Moscow, Nauka, 2005, 302 p. [in Russian].

Firstov, P.P., Possibilities of forecasting strong earthquakes based on radon monitoring data at the Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky geodynamic polygon, Vestnik KRAUNTS. Nauki o Zemle (KRAUNTS Herald. Earth sciences), 2014, no. 1, iss. 23, pp. 232–245.

Firstov, P.P., Makarov, E.O., Makchimov, A.P., Chernev, I.I., The geodynamic setting in the Northwest circumference of the Pacific Ocean: effects on the dynamics of subsurface radon and on the gas composition of the heat carrier at the Mutnovskii geoelectric power station, Journal of Volcanology and Seismology, 2015, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 326–332. https://doi.org/10.1134/ S0742046315050048

Firstov, P.P., Kopylova, G.N., Solomatin, A.V., Serafimova, Yu.K., On the prediction of a strong earthquake in the Kamchatka Peninsula, Vestnik KRAUNTS. Nauki o Zemle (KRAUNTS Herald. Earth sciences), 2016, no. 4, iss. 32, pp. 106–114.

Gamburtsev, G.A., Izbrannye trudy (Selected works), Moscow, AN SSSR, 1960, 461 p. [in Russian].

Gamburtseva, N.G., Lyuke, E.I., Oreshin, S.I., Pasechnik, I.P., Rubinstein, H.D., Periodic variations of dynamic parameters of seismic waves during translucent of the lithosphere by powerful explosions, DAN SSSR (Reports of the USSR Academy of Sciences), 1982, vol. 266, no. 6, pp. 1349–1353.

Gavrilov, V.A., Influence of variable electromagnetic fields on geoacoustic processes: empirical regularities and physical mechanisms: Sc.D. Thesis, Moscow, IFZ RAS, 2016, 385 p.

Gufeld, I.L., Sejsmicheskij process. Fiziko-himicheskie aspekty (Seismic process. Physical and chemical aspects), Korolev, TsNIIMash, 2007, 160 p.

Gufeld, I.L., Geological consequences of amorphization of the lithosphere and upper mantle structure caused by hydrogen degassing, Geodynamics and Tectonophysics, 2012, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 417–435. https://doi.org/10.5800/GT-2012-3-4-0083

Gufeld, I.L., Matveeva, M.I., Barrier effect of degassing and destruction of the Earth's crust, Doklady RAN (Reports of the Russian Academy of Sciences), 2011, vol. 438, no. 2, pp. 253–258. https://doi.org/10.11.34/S1028334X11050199

Gufeld, I.L., Novoselov, O.N., Sejsmicheskij process v zone subdukcii. Monitoring fonovogo rezhima (Seismic process in the subduction zone. Monitoring of the background mode), Moscow, FGBOU VPO MGUL, 2014. 100 p. [in Russian].

Gufeld, I.L, Novoselov, O.N., Nonbarrier Seismic Process in the Subduction Zone and Principles of its Monitoring, Doklady Earth Sciences, 2015, vol. 464, part 2, pp. 1083–1088. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1028334X15100190

Gufeld, I.L., Novoselov, O.N., Monitoring the state of the subduction zone environment. Possibilities for short-term seismic hazard evaluation, Vestnik KRAUNTS. Nauki o Zemle (KRAUNTS Herald. Earth sciences), 2017, no. 3, issue 34, pp. 77–89.

Gufeld, I.L., Matveeva, M.I., Lyutikov, R.A., Savin, V.I., Radiogenic Gases in the dynamics of the lithosphere, Doklady RAN (Reports of the Russian Academy of Sciences), 1993, vol. 328, no. 1, pp. 39–42.

Gufeld, I.L., Gusev, G.A., Matveeva, M.I., Metastability of the lithosphere as a manifestation of ascending diffusion of light gases, Doklady RAN (Reports of the Russian Academy of Sciences), 1998, vol. 362, no. 5, pp. 677–680.

Gufeld, I.L., Afanasiev, A.V., Afanasieva, V.V., Novoselov, O.N., Trigger effects of the seismotectonic process in a dynamically changing geological environment, Doklady Earth Sciences, 2010, vol. 433, p. 901–905. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1028334X10070123

Kol'skaya sverhglubokaya (Kola super-deep), ed. E.A. Kozlovsky, Moscow, Nedra, 1984, 492 p. [in Russian].

Kuzmin, Yu.O., Recent geodynamics of fault zones, Izvestiya, Physics of the solid Earth, 2004, vol. 40, no. 10, p. 868–882.

Lukk, A.A., Descherevsky, A.V., Sidorin, A.Ya., Sidorin, I.A., Variacii geofizicheskih polej kak proyavlenie determinirovannogo haosa vo fraktal'noj srede (Variations of geophysical fields as a manifestation of deterministic chaos in a fractal environment), Moscow, OIFZ RAS, 1996. 210 p. [in Russian].

Ma Li, Chen Jianmin, Chen Qifu, Liu Guiping, Features of precursor fields before and after the Datong-Yanggao Earthquake swarm, J. Earthq. Predct. Res., 1995, vol. 4, no. 1, p. 1–30.

Matematicheskoe modelirovanie sejsmicheskogo processa, orientirovannogo na problemu prognoza zemletryasenij (Mathematical modeling of the seismic process focused on the problem of earthquake prediction), Moscow, MITP RAN, 1993, 112 p. [in Russian].

Miachkin, V.I., Processy podgotovki zemletryasenij (Processes of preparation of earthquakes), Moscow, Nauka, 1978, 232 p. [in Russian].

Nevskiy, M.V., Super-long-Period waves of deformations at the boundaries of lithospheric plates, in: Dinamicheskie processy v geofizicheskoj srede (Dynamic processes in the geophysical environment). Moscow, Nauka, 1994, pp. 40–54. [in Russian].

Nikolaevsky, V.N., Dilatancy and theory of the earthquake source, Uspekhi mekhaniki (Progress in mechanics), 1980, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 70-101. [in Russian].

Niazi, M., Regression analysis of reported earthquake precursors, Pageophys, 1984–1985, vol. 122, pp. 966–981.

Novoselov, O.N., Identification of the state of dynamic objects by measured parameters: from theory to practice, Izmeritel'naya tekhnika (Measurement Techniques), 2010a, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 142–148.

Novoselov, O.N., Identifikaciya i analiz dinamicheskih sistem (Identification and analysis of dynamic systems), Moscow, GOU VPO MGUL, 2010b, 424 p. [in Russian].

Novoselov, O.N., Gufeld, I.L., Prediction of the State of Dynamic Systems Based on Measurement Data, Measurement Techniques, 2015, vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 1095–1101. https://doi.org/10.1007/ s11018-015-0848-2

Pavlenkova, N.I., Structure of the Earth's crust and upper mantle and mechanism of movement of deep matter, Vestnik OGGGGN RAN (OGGGGN Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences), 2001, no. 4 (19), 18 p.

Pisarenko, V.F., Gamburtsev, A.G., Gamburtseva, N.G., Little-Known works and materials from the archive of academician G.A. Gamburtsev, Fizika Zemli (Physics of the Earth), 2008, no. 9, pp. 71–80. [in Russian].

Polikarpova, L.A., Belavina, Yu.F., Malinovsky, A.A., Polikarpov, A.M., Time regularities of distribution of deep earthquakes of the terrestrial globe for the period 1963–1979, Fizika Zemli (Physics of the Earth), 1995, no. 2, pp. 28–39. [in Russian].

Pulinets, S.A., Uzunov, D.P., Karelin, A.V., Davydenko, D.V., Physical bases of the generation of short-term earthquake precursors: a complex model of ionization-induced geophysical processes in the lithosphere-atmosphere-ionosphere-magnetosphere system, Geomagnetism and Aeronomy, 2015, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 521–538.

Reid, H.F., The California earthquake of April, 18, 1906. The Mechanics of the earthquake, Washington, The Carnegie Inst., 1910, vol. 2.

Rice, J., Mekhanika ochaga zemletryaseniya (Mechanics of an earthquake source), Moscow, Mir, 1982, pp. 133–215. [in Russian].

Rikitake, T., Predskazanie zemletryasenij (Prediction of an earthquake), Moscow, Mir, 1979, 388 p. [in Russian].

Riznichenko, Yu.V., Energy model of the seismic regime, Fizika Zemli (Physics of the Earth), 1968, no. 5, pp. 3–19. [in Russian].

Riznichenko, Yu.V., Artamonov, A.M., Development of the energy model of the space-time course of seismicity, Fizika Zemli (Physics of the Earth), 1975, no. 12, pp. 35–42. [in Russian].

Sadovsky, M.A., Bolkhovitinov, L.G., Pisarenko, V.F., Deformirovanie geofizicheskoj sredy i sejsmicheskij process (Deformation of the geophysical environment and the seismic process), Moscow, Nauka, 1987, 100 p. [in Russian].

Sadovsky, M.A., Pisarenko, V.F. Sejsmicheskij process v blokovoj srede (Seismic process in a block environment), Moscow, Nauka, 1991, 95 p. [in Russian].

Scholz, C.H., Sykes, L.R., Aggarwal, Y.P., Earthquake prediction: A physical basis, Science, 1973, vol. 181. pp. 803–809.

Scholz, C.H., Alives, C.A., Wesnousky, S.C., Scaling differences between large interpolate and interpolate earthquakes, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Amer., 1986, vol. 76, pp. 65–70.

Shchekotov, A.Yu., Chebrov, V.N., Berseneva, N.Yu., Electromagnetic precursors of the Olyutorsky and Okhotomorsky earthquakes, Proceedings of the Fifth scientific and technical conference. Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky. September 27 – October 3, 2015. http://www.emsd.ru/conf2015lib/ pdf/predv/Schekotov_Chebrov_Berseneva.pdf

Sidorin, A.Ya., Dependence of time of occurrence of earthquake precursors on epicentral distance // Doklady Akad. Nauk SSSR. Geophysics, Scripta Publishing Co,1981, vol. 245, pp. .28–30.

Sidorin, A.Ya,. Dependence of the magnitude of anomalous crustal deformation on the distance to the epicenter of an impending earthquake // Doklady Akad. Nauk SSSR. Geophysics, Scripta Publishing Co, 1982, vol. 250, pp. 29–31.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Regional differences in the patterns of earthquake precursors, Izvestiya, Physics of the solid Earth, 1987, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 156–158.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Predvestniki zemletryaseniy (Earthquake precursors), Moscow, Nauka, 1992, 192 p. [in Russian].

Sobolev, G.A., Osnovy prognoza zemletryasenij (Fundamentals of earthquake forecasting), Moscow, Nauka, 1993, 313 p. [in Russian].

Sobolev, G.A., Avalanche unstable fracturing formation model, Izvestiya, Physics of the solid Earth, 2019, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 138–151.

Sobolev, G.A., Ponomarev, A.V., Fizika zemletryasenij i predvestniki (Physics of earthquakes and precursors), Moscow, Nauka, 2003, 270 p. [in Russian].

Trapeznikov, Yu.A., Questions of spatial and temporal distribution of earthquakes and their precursors, in: Proyavlenie geodinamicheskih processov v geofizicheskih polyah (Manifestation of geodynamic processes in geophysical fields), Moscow, Nauka, 1993, pp. 139–150. [in Russian].

Tsubokawa, I., On relation between duration of crystal movement and magnitude of earthquake expected, J. Geodyn. Soc. Japan, 1969, vol. 15, pp. 75–88.

Vikulin, A.V., On the long-term seismic forecast of S.A. Fedotov, Vestnik KRAUNTS. Nauki o Zemle (KRAUNTS Herald. Earth sciences), 2017, no. 3, iss. 35, pp. 69–85.

Voitov, G.I., Chemism and scales of the modern flow of natural gases in various state structures of the Earth, Zhurnal Vsesoyuznogo himicheskogo obshchestva (Journal of the all-Union chemical society), 1986, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 533–540. [in Russian].

Zhang Guomin, Zhang Zhaocheng, The study of multidisciplinary earthquake prediction in China, J. Earthq. Predct. Res., 1992, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 71–85.

Zubkov, S.I., Times of occurrence of earthquake precursors, Izvestiya AN SSSR. Fizika Zemli (News of Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Physics of the Earth), 1987, no. 5, pp. 87–91. [in Russian].

About of authors

GUFELD Iosif LipovichSchmidt Institute of Physics of the Earth, Russian Academy of Sciences. Russia, 123242, Moscow, Bolshaya Gruzinskaya ul. 10, bld. 1. E-mail: igufeld@korolev-net.ru

NOVOSELOV Oleg Nikolaevich – Bauman Moscow State Technical University. Russia, 105005, Moscow, ul. Baumanskaya 2-ya, 5/1. E-mail: onn-aan@yandex.ru