METADATA IN ENGLISH

About the journal

NAUKA I TEKHNOLOGICHESKIE RAZRABOTKI (SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS), ISSN: 2079-5165, eISSN: 2410-7948, DOI: 10.21455/std; https://elibrary.ru/title_about.asp?id=32295; http://std.ifz.ru/. The journal was founded in 1992.

CONTRIBUTION OF THE FIRST FIELD LABORATORY ON THE USE OF PULSED MHD GENERATORS IN GEOPHYSICS TO THE UNIQUE GEOELECTRIC EXPERIMENT AND ITS FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

A.Ya. Sidorin

Schmidt Institute of Physics of the Earth, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia

e-mail: al_sidorin@hotmail.com

Highlights

- the results of the first experiment in the world geophysical practice on the use of pulsed MHD generators in geophysics are discussed

- the experiment was carried out at the Garm test site in order to search for possible changes in the electrical resistivity of rocks at the depth of the focal zones of earthquakes

- the main instrumental and methodological developments, performed for the organization and conduct of this experiment, are described

- using the experience gained at the Garm test site when organizing other geoelectric experiments with MHD generators are considered

- effects of some experiments with MHD generators on the development of infrastructure for geophysical research are discussed

Abstract. In 1970–1980, several experiments were carried out in the USSR to investigate the possibilities of using powerful pulsed MHD generators in geoelectric research. The first experiment in the world geophysical practice on deep electromagnetic sounding of the Earth's crust with a pulsed MHD generator was the experiment at the Garm test site in Tajikistan. It was assumed that a sharp increase in the power of the source used for sounding makes it possible to investigate changes in the electrical parameters of the Earth's crust to the depths of the location of the focal zones of earthquakes. According to the head of work on the use of MHD generators in the practice of geophysical research, academician E.P. Velikhov, cited in one of the publications, "The Garm geophysical test site played the role of the first field laboratory for the use of pulsed MHD generators in geophysics." In connection with the 35th anniversary of the beginning of electrical resistivity monitoring with a pulsed MHD generator at Garm, the main results of this experiment, the performed instrumental and methodological developments and their influence on experiments with MHD generators in other regions are briefly listed. In addition to geophysical studies at the Pamir-1 MHD installation, various experiments were carried out to improve the MHD generator itself, to change the shape of the generated current pulses in order to be able to use them for electromagnetic sounding by various methods. In particular, experiments were carried out to increase the output voltage of the MHD generator, generation of alternating current, and some others. A method of frequency electromagnetic sounding of the Earth's crust has been developed and new data have been obtained on the deep structure of the Garm test site. In parallel with soundings with powerful single current pulses, research was carried out on the development of soundings with long-acting electric generators based on the use of methods for stacking weak signals. Precision equipment was developed and produced in small series for soundings with periodic pulse sequences, powerful generators of continuous operation with high stability of current in the load were used for electric dipole soundings. A unique experiment on long-term precision monitoring by the method of vertical electrical sounding has been carried out.

Keywords: pulsed MHD generator, use in geophysics, electromagnetic sounding, Garm test site, the first experiment in the world geophysical practice, instrumental and methodological developments

Cite this article as: Sidorin A.Ya. Contribution of the first field laboratory on the use of pulsed MHD generators in geophysics to the unique geoelectric experiment and its further development, Nauka i Tekhnologicheskie razrabotki (Science and Technological Developments). 2020, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 59–72. [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.21455/std2020.1-5

Funding

This study was performed under State Task of Schmidt Institute of Physics of the Earth RAS.

Ethics declarations

The author declares that there is no conflict of interest.

References

Desherevskii, A.V., Sidorin, A.Y., Optimization of the Algorithm for Calculating the Electrical Resistivity of Temporal Variations Using VES Monitoring Data to Increase the Accuracy and Reliability of the Results, Seismic Instruments, 2020, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 540–554. https://doi.org/10.3103/S0747923920050072

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Modin, I.N., Sidorin, A.Ya., Constructing the Optimal Model of the Geoelectric Section Using Vertical Electrical Sounding Data: Case Study of the Central Part of the Garm Research Area, Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, 2018a, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 1490–1511. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0001433818100031

Desherevskii, A.V., Modin, I.N., Sidorin, A.Y., Method for Constructing a Model of a Geoelectric Section Taking into Account Seasonal Variations Based on Data from Long-Term Vertical Electric Sounding Monitoring in Search of Earthquake Precursors, Seismic Instruments, 2018b, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 424–436. https://doi.org/10.3103/S0747923918040023

Desherevskii, A.V., Modin, I.N., Sidorin, A.Y., Seasonal Variations in Specific Resistivity in the Upper Layers of the Earth Crust, Seismic Instruments, 2019, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 300–312. https://doi.org/10.3103/S0747923919030058

Eltsov, I.N., Morozova, G.M., Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Comparative efficiency of suppression of electromagnetic interference with the equipment “Cycle-2” and “SEZ-1”, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1999, iss. 31, pp. 45–49.

Eltsov, I.N., Manstein, A.K., Morozova, G.M., Nevedrova, N.N., Sidorin, A.Ya., Electromagnetic sounding at the Garm test site by the field formation method, in: Elektricheskoye vzaimodeystviye geosfernykh obolochek (Electric interaction of geospheric shells), Moscow, OIFZ RAS, 2000, pp. 183–192.

Eltsov, I.N., Morozova, G.M., Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Reconnaissance studies with SEZ-1 equipment at the Baikal prognostic site, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 2001, iss. 36, pp. 48–55.

Garyanov, A.V., Sidorin, A.Ya., Chernyi, I.G., Hardware and methodological developments for precision geoelectric monitoring, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1999, iss. 31, pp. 14–28.

Kolobov, V.V., Barannik, M.B., Efimov, B.V., Zhamaletdinov, A.A., Shevtsov, A. N., Kopytenko, Yu.A., Energy-4 Generator for Monitoring Seismically Active Regions and Electromagnetic Sounding of the Earth’s Crust. Experience of Application in the Kovdor-2015 Experiment, Seismic Instruments, 2018, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 268–280. https://doi.org/10.3103/S0747923918030143

Lisin, A.S., Physical prerequisites for increasing the efficiency of electromagnetic soundings by the method of a powerful single pulse in conditions of non-stationary interference, in: Glubinnoye elektrozondirovaniye s primeneniyem promyshlennykh liniy elektroperedach (Deep electro sounding using industrial power lines), Apatity, Kola Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1981, pp. 92–99.

Nersesov, I.L., Sidorin, A.Ya., Zhuravlev, V.I., Velikhov, Ye.P., Volkov, Yu.M, Kuksa, Yu.I., Vengerskiy, V.V., Babakov, Yu.P., Pisakin, A.V., Isaev, Yu.I., Nazarovskiy, V.M., Earthquake prediction by the method of deep electric probing of the Earth's crust using the MGD Pamir-1 generator, Doklady Akad. Nauk SSSR. Geophysics, 1981, vol. 245, pp. 1–4.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Digital resistive variometer for searching for earthquake precursors, in: Razrabotka i issledovaniye seysmometricheskoy apparatury (Development and research of seismometric equipment), Moscow, Nauka, 1985, pp. 37–41.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Method and results of electrical sounding in a seismically active region, Doklady Akad. Nauk SSSR. Geophysics, 1987, vol. 278, pp. 25–28.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., SEZ-1 equipment and its application at the Garm test site, in: Prognoz zemletryaseniy (Earthquakes Forecast). No. 7, Dushanbe, Donish, 1986, pp. 9599.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Method for measuring electroprobe signals, USSR Inventor’s Certificate no. 1434997, 1988.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Apparatura dlya dinamicheskoy geoelektriki (Equipment for dynamic geoelectrics), Moscow: IFZ AN SSSR, 1990, 208 p.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Field calibrator of low-frequency electrical prospecting equipment, USSR Inventor’s Certificate no. 1684771, 1991a.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Multifunctional electrical sounding station and the results of its use, in: Kompleksnyye issledovaniya po prognozu zemletryaseniy (Complex research on forecasting earthquakes), Moscow, Nauka, 1991b, pp. 182–199.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Experimental evaluation of the efficiency of noise suppression during electrical sounding for the purpose of predicting earthquakes, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1996, iss. 25–26, pp. 212–216.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Pulse calibration of equipment in the search for earthquake precursors, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1997a, iss. 27, pp. 52–60.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Device for measuring variations in electrical resistance of rocks, RF Patent 2084928, Byull. Izobret., 1997b, no. 20.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Algorithm for processing readings at the output of the storage device of the SEZ equipment, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1999a, iss. 31, pp. 72–79.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Dependence of the efficiency of suppression of interference in electrical sounding on the number of accumulated impulses, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1999b, iss. 32, pp. 39–45.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Poltanov, A.E., Sidorin, A.Ya., Generator equipment for research on earthquake prediction by the method of electromagnetic sounding with accumulation of signals, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1997, iss. 27, pp. 15–20.

Shevtsov, A.N., Processing and Interpreting the Data of Deep Frequency Sounding in a Complex with Audiomagnetotelluric Measurements (Murman-2018 Experiment), Seismic Instruments, 2020, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 568–577. https://doi.org/10.3103/S0747923920050102

Sidorin, A.Ya., Variations of the electrical resistivity of the upper crust, Doklady Akad. Nauk SSSR. Geophysics, 1987, vol. 278, pp. 15–18.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Measuring equipment for the search for earthquake precursors by the method of electrical sounding by single impulses, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1986, no. 18, pp. 52–54.

Sidorin, A.Ya., High-accuracy measurement of variations in apparent resistivity on the Garm study area, Doklady Akad. Nauk SSSR. Geophysics, 1988, vol. 290, pp. 16–19.

Sidorin, A.Ya. (ed.), Garmskiy geofizicheskiy poligon (Garm geophysical test site), Moscow, Nauka, 1990, 240 p.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Predvestniki zemletryaseniy (Earthquake precursors), Moscow, Nauka, 1992, 192 p.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Zeigarnik, V.A., Electromagnetic sounding with an MHD generator equipped with a voltage converter, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1997a, iss. 29, pp. 30–34.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Zeigarnik, V.A., Experimental estimates of the errors in determining the apparent resistivity in research on the prediction of earthquakes with an MHD generator, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1997b, iss. 29, pp. 51–57.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Zeigarnik, V.A., A battery of capacitors as a generator set for research on earthquake prediction, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1997c, iss. 29, pp. 69–84.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Zhuravlev, V.I., Estimation of the size of the earthquake preparation zones according to the data of electric sounding, in: Modelirovaniye predvestnikov zemletryaseniy (Modeling of earthquake precursors), Moscow, Nauka, 1980, pp. 45–54.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Ostashevsky, M.G., Technique of precision electrical sounding in the search for earthquake precursors, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1996, iss. 25–26, pp. 189–211.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Ostashevsky, M.G., Observations with digital variometer of resistance at the Garm test site, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1998, iss. 30, pp. 51–60.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Ostashevsky, M.G., Experience of regime dipole soundings with apparatus SEZ-1, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1999, iss. 32, pp. С.54–61.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Ostashevsky, M.G., Additional methods of noise suppression when monitoring resistance with SEZ equipment, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 2000a, iss. 34, pp. 43–66.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Ostashevsky, M.G., The results of using the SEZ equipment at the Garm test site, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 2000b, iss. 34, pp. 72–88.

Trapeznikov, Yu.A., Volykhin, A.M., Shchelochkov, G.G. et al., On the results of regime electrical observations according to the remote sensing scheme at the Frunzensky forecasting range (IVTAN-2 polygon), in: Prognoz zemletryaseniy (Earthquakes Forecast). No. 7, Dushanbe, Donish, 1986, pp. 103–106.

Trapeznikov, Yu.A., Volykhin, A.M., Shchelochkov, G.G. et al., Main results of electromagnetic research on earthquake prediction at IVTAN test sites, in: Prognoz zemletryaseniy (Earthquakes Forecast). No. 11, Dushanbe, Donish, 1989, pp. 264–274.

Velikhov, Ye.P. (ed.), Geoelektricheskiye issledovaniya s moshchnym istochnikom toka na Bal-tiyskom shchite (Geoelectric research with a powerful current source on the Baltic shield), Moscow, Nauka, 1989, 272 p.

Velikhov, E.P., Zeigarnik, V.A., MHD method of energy conversion in geophysics, MGD-teoriya, energetika, tekhnologiya (MHD theory, energetics, technology), 1985, no. 1, pp. 19–30.

Volkov, Yu.M., Lisin, A.S., Evaluation of the effectiveness of deep electromagnetic sounding by the methods of a powerful single pulse and the accumulation of weak signals against the background of natural interference, in: Izmereniye i obrabotka odinochnykh signalov pri geofizicheskikh issledovaniyakh s impul'snymi istochnikami (Measurement and processing of single signals in geophysical studies with pulsed sources), Apatity, Kola Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1979, pp. 5–14.

Zeigarnik, V.A., Sidorin, A.Ya., MHD generator “Pamir-1” in research on earthquake prediction, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1997a, iss. 27, pp. 77–91.

Zeigarnik, V.A., Sidorin, A.Ya., Generator sets of periodic action and their application in research on forecasting earthquakes, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1997b, iss. 28, pp. 69–88.

Zeigarnik, V.A., Sidorin, A.Ya., Pulsed MHD generators in earthquake prediction studies, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1997c, iss. 28, pp. 89–98.

Zeigarnik, V.A., Rikman, V.Yu., Sidorin, A.Ya., Electromagnetic sounding with the Pamir-1 MHD generator in the alternating current generation mode, Seysmicheskiye pribory (Seismic Instruments), 1997, iss. 29, pp. 35–43.

Zhamaletdinov, A.A. (ed.), Glubinnyye geoelektricheskiye issledovaniya s ispol'zovaniyem promyshlennykh liniy elektroperedach (Deep geoelectric surveys using industrial power lines), Apatity, Kola Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1990, 107 p.

Zhamaletdinov, A.A., Shevtsov, A.N., Velikhov, E.P. et al., Study of interaction of ELF–ULF range (0.1–200 Hz) electromagnetic waves with the Earth’s crust and the ionosphere in the field of industrial power transmission lines (FENICS Experiment), Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, 2015, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 826–857. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0001433815080083

Zhuravlev, V.I., Linearized inverse problem of electrical prospecting, DAN SSSR (Reports of the USSR Academy of Sciences), 1979, vol. 248, no. 1, pp. 64–66.

Zhuravlev, V.I., Sidorin, A.Ya., Determination of the impulse function of the geoelectric section, in: Izmereniye i obrabotka odinochnykh signalov pri geofizicheskikh issledovaniyakh s impul'snymi istochnikami (Measurement and processing of single signals in geophysical surveys with impulse sources), Apatity, Kola Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1979a, pp. 33–35.

Zhuravlev, V.I., Sidorin, A.Ya., Analysis of the features of the spectral method of processing pulsed signals during electrical sounding of the Earth's crust, in: Izmereniye i obrabotka odinochnykh signalov pri geofizicheskikh issledovaniyakh s impul'snymi istochnikami (Measurement and processing of single signals in geophysical surveys with impulse sources), Apatity, Kola Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1979a, pp. 66–69.

Zhuravlev, V.I., Sidorin, A.Ya., Prediction of interferences during sounding of the earth's crust with single current impulses, Geomagnetizm i aeronomiya (Geomagnetism and Aeronomy), 1982, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 836–841.

Zhuravlev, V.I., Sidorin, A.Ya., Optimization of the network of operational dipole soundings at the Garm test site, in: Prognoz zemletryaseniy (Earthquakes Forecast). No. 7, Dushanbe, Donish, 1986, pp. 162–168.

Zhuravlev, V.I., Sidorin, A.Ya., Correlation between spatial distribution of seismicity and geoelectric structure in the Garm test area, Doklady Akad. Nauk SSSR. Geophysics, 1987, vol. 287, pp. 27–29.

Zhuravlev, V.I., Sidorin, A.Ya., Frequency electromagnetic sounding by single impulses, in: Izucheniye prirody variatsiy geofizicheskikh poley (Study of the nature of variations in geophysical fields), Moscow, OFZ RAS, 1994, pp. 134–147.

Zhuravlev, V.I., Sidorin, A.Ya., Shevchenko, V.I., Geoelectric section of the Garm polygon according to frequency sounding data, in: Izucheniye prirody variatsiy geofizicheskikh poley (Study of the nature of variations in geophysical fields), Moscow, OFZ RAS, 1994, pp. 148–160.

Zhuravlev, V.I., Zeygarnik, V.A., Sidorin, A.Ya., Elektromagnitnyye zondirovaniya zemnoy kory Garmskogo poligona odinochnymi impul'sami (Electromagnetic sounding of the earth's crust of the Garm test site by single impulses), Moscow, OFZ RAS, 1997, 208 p.

Zhuravlev, V.I., Konovalov, Yu.F., Lukk, A.A., Sidorin, A.Ya., Model of the geoelectric section of the earth's crust in the Garm region in comparison with geological and seismological data, Fizika Zemli (Physics of the Earth), 1998, no. 8, pp. 38–48.

About the author

SIDORIN Alexander Yakovlevich – Schmidt Institute of Physics of the Earth of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 123242, Moscow, ul. Bolshaya Gruzinskaya 10, str. 1. E-mail: al_sidorin@hotmail.com