METADATA IN ENGLISH

About the journal

NAUKA I TEKHNOLOGICHESKIE RAZRABOTKI (SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS), ISSN: 2079-5165, eISSN: 2410-7948, DOI: 10.21455/std; https://elibrary.ru/title_about.asp?id=32295; http://std.ifz.ru/. The journal was founded in 1992.

FEATURES OF INVERSE PROBLEM INSTABILITY IN VERTICAL ELECTRICAL SOUNDING FOR PRECISION MONITORING

A.A. Bobachev1,2, A.V. Deshcherevskii2, A.Ya. Sidorin2

1 Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia

2 Schmidt Institute of Physics of the Earth, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia

Corresponding author: A.Ya. Sidorin, e-mail: al_sidorin@hotmail.com

Highlights

Features of inversion of precision geoelectric monitoring data are considered

Effect of antiphase changes (swing) in resistivity of adjacent layers is discussed

It is due to the special structure of the residuals associated with the equivalence of resistivity

This effect is not taken into account in commonly used algorithms

It is necessary to develop an inversion algorithm that suppresses the swing

Abstract. When solving many geophysical problems, monitoring by the method of vertical electrical sounding (VES) is used on stationary multi-electrode installations. The resulting time series of observations can be considered as a profile (set of pickets) of the VES, deployed not in space, as with profile soundings, but in time. When solving the VES inverse problem for precision monitoring data on a stationary multi-electrode VES array, the effect of a high-amplitude antiphase change in the resistivity of adjacent layers in time was discovered. This behavior is physically unlikely. To clarify the causes of this phenomenon, synthetic VES profiles, similar to real ones, were studied. In each layer of the model section, the law of change in time (along the profile) of the resistivity was set and synthetic curves of apparent resistivity were calculated. Then the inverse problem of VES was solved. In this case, the same algorithms were used that were used for the experimental series. The obtained solutions were compared with the original synthetic resistivity profiles, which made it possible to analyze the solution errors. The results of the analysis showed that the effect of the antiphase change in the resistivity of the adjacent layers of the section (the swing effect of the solution to the inverse problem) is not associated with real changes in the resistivity. It arises due to the special structure of the landscape of the discrepancy due to the equivalence in resistance. This feature is not taken into account by standard algorithms for solving the inverse problem and can lead to rather large errors if no special countermeasures are taken. When monitoring a geoelectric section, increased requirements are imposed on the accuracy of solving the inverse problem of VES. The required accuracy cannot be achieved with commonly used inversion algorithms. It is required to develop special algorithms for selecting a solution to the inverse problem, which provide suppression of the swing.

Keywords: vertical electrical sounding, precision monitoring, data inversion, instability features of the inverse problem solution

Cite this article as: Bobachev A.A., Deshcherevskii A.V., Sidorin A.Ya. Features of inverse problem instability in vertical electrical sounding for precision monitoring, Nauka i Tekhnologicheskie razrabotki (Science and Technological Developments). 2020, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 31–58. [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.21455/std2020.1-4

References

Bobachev, A., Ipi2win user's guide, Moscow: Moscow State University, 2002.

Bobachev, A.A., Kompleks IPI-1D – odnomernaya profil'naya interpretatsiya dannykh VEZ i VEZ-VP 2020 (IPI-1D complex – one-dimensional profile interpretation of VES and VES-VP 2020 data) [Electronic resource]. http://geoelectric.ru/ipi2win.htm

Bogdanov, M.I., Kalinin, V.V., Modin, I.N., Application of high-precision low-frequency electrical prospecting systems for long-term monitoring of hazardous geotechnical processes, Inzhenernyye izyskaniya (Engineering research), 2013, no. 10–11, pp. 110–115.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Fil'tratsiya sezonnykh komponent variatsiy geoelektricheskikh parametrov na Garmskom poligone (Filtration of seasonal components of variations in geoelectric parameters at the Garm test site), Author's abstract. diss. … cand. phys.-math. sciences, Moscow: IDG RAN, 1996, 20 p.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Fraktal'naya razmernost', pokazatel' Khersta i ugol naklona spektra vremennogo ryada (Fractal dimension, Hurst exponent and slope of the spectrum of the time series), Moscow: OIFZ RAN, 1997, 36 p.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Sidorin, A.Ya., Nekotoryye voprosy metodiki otsenki srednesezonnykh funktsiy dlya geofizicheskikh dannykh (Some questions of the methodology for assessing the average seasonal functions for geophysical data), Moscow: OIFZ RAN, 1999, 40 p.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Sidorin, A.Ya., Two-component model of geophysical processes: seasonal variations and flicker noise, Dokl. RAN (Dokl. Russian Academy of Sciences), 2001, vol. 376, no. 1, pp. 100–105.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Sidorin, A.Ya., The problem of flicker noise in the study of causal relationships between natural processes, Dokl. RAN (Dokl. Russian Academy of Sciences), 2003, vol. 392,
no. 3, pp. 392–396.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Sidorin, A.Ya., Seasonal variations of the apparent resistivity as a function of the sounding depth, Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth, 2004a, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 177–193.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Sidorin, A.Ya., On the significance of correlation between fish electric activity and the electrotelluric field, Biophysics, 2004b, vol.49, iss. 4, pp. 658–665.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Zhuravlev V.I., Testirovaniye metodiki otsenki parametrov flikker-shuma (Testing the method for estimating the parameters of flicker noise), Moscow: OIFZ RAN, 1996, 12 p.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Lukk, A.A., Sidorin, A.Ya., Flicker-noise structure in the time realizations of geophysical fields, Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth, 1997b, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 515–529.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Modin, I.N., Sidorin, A.Ya., Constructing the Optimal Model of the Geoelectric Section Using Vertical Electrical Sounding Data: Case Study of the Central Part of the Garm Research Area, Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, 2018a, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 1490–1511. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0001433818100031

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Modin, I.N., Sidorin, A.Ya., Method for constructing a model of a geoelectric section taking into account seasonal variations based on data from long-term vertical electric sounding monitoring in search of earthquake precursors, Seismic Instruments, 2018b, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 424–436. https://doi.org/10.3103/S0747923918040023

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Modin, I.N., Sidorin, A.Ya., Seasonal Variations in Specific Resistivity in the Upper Layers of the Earth Crust, Seismic Instruments, 2019, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 300–312. https://doi.org/10.3103/S0747923919030058

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Mukhin, V.M., Sidorin, A.Ya., Modified algorithm for calculating the water balance in the soil to identify exogenous variations in geophysical parameters, Geofizicheskiye issledovaniya (Geophysical research), 2006, no. 5, pp. 116–133.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Mukhin, V.M., Sidorin, A.Ya., Phase distinctions of seasonal variations in the soil moisture influx at stations of the Garm research area, Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth, 2008, vol. 44, no. 9, pp. 728–737.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Zhuravlev, V.I., Sidorin, A.Ya., Some filtering algorithms for geophysical temporal series, Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth, 1996a, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 138–148.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Zhuravlev, V.I., Sidorin, A.Ya., Linearity of spectra of non-seasonal components of geophysical time series, Dokl. RAN (Dokl. Russian Academy of Sciences), 1996b, vol. 346, no. 6, pp. 815–818.

Deshcherevskii, A.V., Zhuravlev, V.I., Sidorin, A.Ya., Spectral-temporal features of seasonal variations in apparent resistivity, Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth, 1997a, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 217–226.

Khmelevskoy, V.K., Shevnin, V.A. (eds.), Elektricheskoye zondirovaniye geologicheskoy sredy (Electrical sounding of the geological environment), Part 2, Moscow: Moscow State University, 1992, 200 p.

Khmelevskoy, V.K., Shevnin, V.A. (eds.), Elektrorazvedka metodom soprotivleniy (Electrical prospecting by the method of resistance), Moscow: Moscow State University, 1994, 160 p.

Loke, M.H., Dahlin, T., Rucker, D.F., Smoothness-constrained time-lapse inversion of data from 3D resistivity surveys, Near Surf. Geoph., 2014, no. 12, pp. 4–24.

Lukk, A.A., Descherevsky, A.V., Sidorin, A.Ya., Sidorin, I.A., Variatsii geofizicheskikh poley kak proyavleniye determinirovannogo khaosa vo fraktal'noy srede (Variations of geophysical fields as a manifestation of deterministic chaos in a fractal environment), Moscow: OIFZ RAN, 1996, 210 p.

Maillet, R., The Fundamental Equations of Electrical Prospecting, Geophysics, 1947, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 529–556. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.1437342

Morrow, C., Brace, W.F., Resistivity changes in tuffs due to stress, J. Geophys. Res., 1981, vol. 86, no. B4, pp. 2929–2934.

Ostashevsky, M.G., Sidorin, A.Ya., Apparatura dlya dinamicheskoy geoelektriki (Equipment for dynamic geoelectrics), Moscow: IFZ AN SSSR, 1990, 208 p.

Pushkarev, V.N., Sidorin, A.Ya., Comparison of the sensitivity of various methods of electrical exploration as applied to the problem of searching for earthquake precursors, Seismicheskie pribory (Seismic Instruments), 2002, vol. 37, pp. 74–88.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Results of precision observations of variations in apparent resistivity at the Garm test site, Dokl. AN SSSR (Dokl. Academy of Sciences of the USSR), 1986a, vol. 290, no. 1, pp. 81–84.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Methods of dynamic geoelectrics in an automated earthquake forecasting system, Prognoz zemletryaseniy (Earthquakes Forecast), no. 6, Dushanbe; Moscow: Donish, 1986b, pp. 88–96.

Sidorin, A.Ya. (ed.), Garmskiy geofizicheskiy poligon (Garm geophysical test site), Moscow: Nauka, 1990, 240 p.

Sidorin, A.Ya. (ed.), Avtomatizirovannaya obrabotka dannykh na Garmskom geofizicheskom poligone (Automated data processing at the Garm geophysical test site), Moscow: Nauka, 1991, 216 p.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Predvestniki zemletryaseniy (Earthquake precursors), Moscow: Nauka, 1992, 192 p.

Sidorin, A.Ya., Zhuravlev, V.I., Estimation of the size of the earthquake preparation zones according to the data of electric sounding, in: Modelirovaniye predvestnikov zemletryaseniy (Modeling of earthquake precursors), Moscow: Nauka, 1980, pp. 45–54.

Supper, R., Ottowitz, D., Jochum, B., Kim, J.H., Römer, A., Baron, I., Pfeiler, S., Lovisolo, M., Gruber, S., Vecchiotti, F., Geoelectrical monitoring: an innovative method to supplement landslide surveillance and early warning, Near Surf. Geoph., 2014, no. 12, pp. 133–150.

Supper, R., Ottowitz, D., Jochum, B., Römer, A., Pfeiler, S., Kauer, S., Keuschnig, M., Ita, M., Geoelectrical monitoring of frozen ground and permafrost in alpine areas: field studies and considerations towards an improved measuring technology, Near Surf. Geoph., 2014, no. 12, pp. 93–115.

Wilkinson, P., Chambers, J., Kuras, O., Meldrum, P., Gunn, D., Long-term time-lapse geoelectrical monitoring, First Break, 2011, vol. 29, pp. 77–84.

Yamazaki, Y., Electrical conductivity of strained rocks (1st paper). Laboratory experiments on sedimentary rocks, Bull. Earthquake Res. Inst. Univ. Tokyo, 1965. vol. 43, pp. 783–802.

Zhuravlev, V.I., Sidorin, A.Ya., Optimization of the network of operational dipole soundings at the Garm test site, Prognoz zemletryaseniy (Earthquakes Forecast), no. 7, Dushanbe: Donish, 1986, pp. 162–168.

About the authors

BOBACHEV Alexey Anatolievich – Lomonosov Moscow State University. Russia, 119991, Moscow, Leninskie Gory, 1; Schmidt Institute of Physics of the Earth of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Russia, 123242, Moscow, ul. Bolshaya Gruzinskaya 10, str. 1. E-mail: bobachev@rambler.ru

DESHCHEREVSKII Alexey Vladimirovich – Schmidt Institute of Physics of the Earth of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 123242, Moscow, ul. Bolshaya Gruzinskaya 10, str. 1. E-mail: adeshere@ifz.ru

SIDORIN Alexander Yakovlevich – Schmidt Institute of Physics of the Earth of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 123242, Moscow, ul. Bolshaya Gruzinskaya 10, str. 1. E-mail: al_sidorin@hotmail.com