METADATA IN ENGLISH

About the journal

NAUKA I TEKHNOLOGICHESKIE RAZRABOTKI (SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENTS), ISSN: 2079-5165, eISSN: 2410-7948, DOI: 10.21455/std; https://elibrary.ru/title_about.asp?id=32295; http://std.ifz.ru/. The journal was founded in 1992.

Inverse problem of magnetotelluric sounding
in the bear experiment on the fennoscandian shield

M.S. Petrishchev

St. Petersburg Branch of Pushkov Institute of Terrestrial Magnetism, Ionosphere and Radio Wave Propagation
of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IZMIRAN), St. Petersburg, Russia

e-mail: ms_petr@mail.ru

Highlights

Joint interpretation of the data of three types of induction soundings is considered

Three methods for solving the inverse problem for the BEAR experiment is discussed

Controlled transformation allows increasing the resolution of the depth

Abstract. The paper considers methodological issues of solving the inverse problem of electromagnetic sounding data. A critical analysis of the previously obtained joint solution for the results of three types of sounding in the fields of controlled and natural sources is carried out. This solution was obtained with the usage of several postulates obtained from the experimental data. It is used the data of the experiments completed on the Fennoscandian shield, the analysis is focused for B27 station from BEAR experiment located in Central Finland. Three methods for joint solving the inverse problem for the results of magnetovariation, magnetotelluric BEAR and controlled sources FENICS soundings is discussed. The use of controlled transformation with a change in geometry of the section allows increasing the resolution of the depth.

Keywords: Fennoscandian shield, electromagnetic sounding, inverse problem, inversion, controlled transformation

Cite this article as: Petrishchev M.S. Inverse problem of magnetotelluric sounding in the BEAR experiment on the Fennoscandian shield, Nauka i Tekhnologicheskie razrabotki (Science and Technological Developments). 2020, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 15–30. [in Russian]. https://doi.org/10.21455/std2020.1-3

References

Berdichevsky, M.N., Zhdanov, M.S., Advanced theory of deep geomagnetic sounding, Amsterdam, New York: Elsevier, 1984. 426 p.

Constable, S.C., Parker, R.L., Constable, C.G., Occam’s inversion: A practical algorithm for generating smooth models from electromagnetic sounding data, Geophysics, 1987, vol. 52, pp. 289–300.

Glaznev, V.N., Kompleksnyye geofizicheskiye modeli litosfery Fennoskandii (Complex geophysical models of the lithosphere of Fennoscandia), Apatity: “KaeM”, 2003, 252 p.

Korja, T., Engels, M., Zhamaletdinov, A.A., Kovtun, A.A., Palshin, N.A., Smirnov, M.Yu., Tokarev, A.D., Asming, V.E., Vanyan, L.L., Vardaniants, I.L., BEAR WG, Crustal conductivity in Fennoscandia – a compilation of a database on crustal conductivity in Fennoscandian shield, Earth, Planets, Space, 2002, no. 54, pp. 535–558.

Korepanov, V.Ye., Electromagnetic sensors for microsatellites, Sensors, Proc. of IEEE, 2002,
pp. 1718–1722.

Kovtun, A.A., Vagin, S.A., Vardanyants, I.L., Legenkova, N.P., Smirnov, M.Yu., Uspensky, N.I., Features of the structure of the Karelian region according to geoelectric studies, in: Glubinnoye stroyeniye i seysmichnost' Karel'skogo regiona i yego obramleniya (Deep structure and seismicity of the Karelian region and its framing). N.V. Sharov, ed. Petrozavodsk: KarRC RAS Publishing House, 2004, pp. 102–129.

Krasnobaeva, A.G., Dyakonov, B.P., Astafiev, P.F., The structure of the north-eastern part of the Baltic Shield according to magnetotelluric data, Fizika Zemli (Physics of the Earth), 1981, no. 6,
pp. 65–73.

Lahti, I., Korja, T., Kaikkonen, P., Vaittinen, K., Decomposition analysis of the BEAR magnetotelluric data: implications for the upper mantle conductivity in the Fennoscandian Shield, Geophysical Journal, 2005, vol. 163, iss. 3, pp. 900–914.

Olsen, N., The Electrical Conductivity of the Mantle beneath Europe Derived from C-Responses from 3 to 720 km, Geophys. J. Int., 1998, no. 133, pp. 298–308.

Parker, R.L., The inverse problem of electromagnetic induction: Existence and construction of solutions based on incomplete data, J. Geophys. Res., 1980, vol. 85, pp. 4421–4428.

Petrishchev, M.S., Semenov, V.Yu., Secular variations of the Earth’s apparent resistivity, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., 2013, vol. 361, pp. 1–6, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2012.11.027

Rokityansky, I.I., Deep magnetotelluric sounding in the presence of distortions from horizontal inhomogeneities, Geofiz. sb. AN USSR (Geofiz. Sat. Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR), 1971, no. 43, pp. 71–77.

Rokityanskiy, I.I., Zybin, K.Yu., Rokityanskaya, D.A., Schepetnev, R.V., Magnetotelluric study of the massif at geophysical stations Borok, Lovozero and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, in: Elektromagnitnyye zondirovaniya i magnitotelluricheskiye metody razvedki (Electromagnetic sounding and magnetotelluric exploration methods), L.: Leningrad State University, 1963, pp. 124–130.

Semenov, V.Yu., Regional conductivity structures of the Earth’s mantle, Publ. Inst. Geophys. Pol. Acad. Sci., 1998, 65C (302), 122 p.

Semenov, V.Yu., Petrishchev, M.S., Induction soundings of the Earth’s mantle, Springer International Publishing AG, 2018, 100 p. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-53795-5.2018

Smirnov, M., Varentsov Iv., BEAR WG, Approaches to derive consistent averages from multy-team MT and GDS transfer function estimates in the BEAR project, Proc. of 5-th SVEKALAPKO Workshop. Univ. of Oulu. Dept. of Geoph. Rep., 2000, vol. 23, p. 13.

Stroyeniye i dinamika litosfery Vostochnoy Yevropy. Rezul'taty issledovaniy po programme EUROPROBE. Vyp. 2 (The structure and dynamics of the lithosphere of Eastern Europe. Research results for the EUROPROBE program. Iss. 2). A.F. Morozov, ed. M.: GEOS, 2006, 736 p.

Trypolskiy, A.A., Sharov, N.V., Litosfera dokembriyskikh shchitov severnogo polushariya Zemli po seysmicheskim dannym (The lithosphere of the Precambrian shields of the northern hemisphere of the Earth according to seismic data), Petrozavodsk: Karelian Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2004, 159 p.

Vagin, S.A., Controlled transformation of unsmoothed magnetotelluric data, Voprosy geofiziki (Problems of Geophysics), 2013, no. 45, pp. 62–66.

Vardanyants, I.L., Kovtun, A.A., Investigation of the possibility of the presence of the asthenosphere on the territory of the Fennoscandian shield according to BEAR data, in: Kompleksnyye geologo-geofizicheskiye modeli drevnikh shchitov (Complex geological and geophysical models of ancient shields). Yu.L. Voitekhovsky, ed. Apatity, 2009, pp. 15–18.

Varentsov, Iv.M., Engels, M., Korja, T., Smirnov, M.Yu., BEAR Working Group, A generalized geoelectric model of Fennnoscandia: a challenging database for long period 3D modeling studies within Baltic electromagnetic array research (BEAR), Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth, 2002,
vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 855–896.

Velikhov, E.P., Zhamaletdinov, A.A., Tokarev, A.D., Asming, V.E., Shevtsov, A.N., Gurevich, A.E., Kovalevsky, V.Ya., Merzheevsky, V.A., Teterin, V.P., Experiment “Volga” on deep sounding of the earth's crust using a direct current power line, Dokl. AN SSSR (Dokl. Academy of Sciences of the USSR), 1989, vol. 307, no. 5, pp. 1077–1082.

Zhamaletdinov, A.A., Model' elektroprovodnosti litosfery po rezul'tatam issledova-niy s kontroliruyemymi istochnikami polya (Baltiyskiy shchit, Russkaya platforma) (Model of the electrical conductivity of the lithosphere based on the results of studies with controlled field sources (Baltic shield, Russian platform)), L.: Nauka, 1990, 159 p.

Zhamaletdinov, A.A., The new data on the structure of the continental crust based on the results of electromagnetic sounding with the use of powerful controlled sources, Doklady Earth Sciences, 2011, vol. 438, pp. 798–802.

Zhamaletdinov, A.A., Khyelt, S.E., On the models of electrical conductivity of the Baltic shield, in: Glubinnaya elektroprovodnost' Baltiyskogo shchita (Deep electrical conductivity of the Baltic shield), Petrozavodsk: KarFAN of USSR Publishing House, 1986, pp. 56–69.

Zhamaletdinov, A.A., Petrishchev, M.S., Three-Dimensional Model of lithosphere Electrical Conductivity of the Fennoscandian Shield Based on the Results of the BEAR and FENICS Experiments, Doklady Earth Sciences, 2015, vol. 463, pp. 751–756. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1028334X15070235

Zhamaletdinov, A.A., Shevtsov, A.N., Tokarev, A.D., Korja, T., Pedersen, L., Experiment on the Deep Frequency Sounding and DC Measurements in the Central Finland Granitoid Complex, Electromagnetic Induction in the Earth. 14-th Workshop in Sinaia (Romania), 1998, p. 83.

Zhamaletdinov, A.A., Shevtsov, A.N., Tokarev, A.D., Normal model of electric conductivity of the Baltic Shield lithosphere and its geodynamic interpretation, Doklady Earth Sciences, 2004,
vol. 399, pp. 1098–1102.

Zhamaletdinov, A.A., Shevtsov, A.N., Korotkova, T.G., Kopytenko, Yu.A., Ismagilov, V.S., Petrishchev, M.S., Efimov, B.V., Barannik, M.B., Kolobov, V.V., Prokopchuk, P.I., Smirnov, M.Yu., Vagin, S.A., Pertel, M.I., Tereshchenko, E.D., Vasiliev, A.N., Grigoriev, V.F., Gohberg, M.B., Trofimchik, V.I., Yampolsky, Yu.M., Koloskov, A.V., Fedorov, A.V., Korja, T., Deep electromagnetic sounding of the lithosphere of the eastern part of the Baltic (Fennoscandian) shield in the field of high-power controlled sources and industrial power transmission lines (FENICS experiment), Izvestiya, Physics of the Solid Earth, 2011, vol. 47, pp. 2–22.

Zhamaletdinov, A.A., Petrishchev, M.S., Shevtsov, A.N., Kolobov, V.V., Selivanov, V.N., Barannik, M.B., Tereshchenko, E.D., Grigoriev, V.F., Sergushin, P.A., Kopytenko, E.A., Birulya, M.A., Skorokhodov, A.A., Esipko, O.A., Damaskin, R.A., Electromagnetic sounding of the earth's crust in the area of superdeep wells SG-6 and SG-7 in the fields of natural and powerful controlled sources, Doklady Akademii Nauk (Doklady Earth Sciences), 2012, vol. 445, no. 2, pp. 205–209.

Zhamaletdinov, A.A., Shevtsov, A.N., Velikhov, E.P., Skorokhodov, A.A., Kolesnikov, V.E., Korotkova, T.G., Ryazantsev, P.A., Efimov, B.V., Kolobov, V.V., Barannik, M.B., Prokopchuk, P.I., Selivanov, V.N., Kopytenko, Yu.A., Kopytenko, E.A., Ismagilov, V.S., Petrishchev, M.S., Sergushin P.A., Tereshchenko P.E., Samsonov B.V., Birulya, M.A., Smirnov, M.Yu., Korja, T., Yampolski, Yu.M., Koloskov, A.V., Baru, A., Poljakov, S.V., Shchennikov, A.V., Druzhin, G.I., Jozwiak, W., Reda, J., Shchors, Yu.G. Study of interaction of ELF–ULF range (0.1–200 Hz) electromagnetic waves with the Earth’s crust and the ionosphere in the field of industrial power transmission lines (FENICS Experiment), Izvestiya, Atmospheric and Oceanic Physics, 2015, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 826–857, https://doi.org/10.1134/S0001433815080083

Zhamaletdinov, A.A., Velikhov, E.P., Shevtsov, A.N., Kolobov, V.V., Kolesnikov, V.E., Skorokhodov, A.A., Korotkova, T.G., Ivonin, V.V., Ryazantsev, P.A., Birulya, M.A., The Kovdor-2015 Experiment: Study of the Parameters of a Conductive Layer of Dilatancy–Diffusion Nature (DD Layer) in the Archaean Crystalline Basement of the Baltic Shield, Doklady Earth Sciences, 2017, vol. 474, pp. 641–645.

Zohdy, A.A., A new method for the automatic interpretation of Schlumberger and Wenner sounding curves, Geophysics, 1989, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 245–253.

About the author

PETRISHCHEV Maxim Sergeevich – St. Petersburg Branch of Pushkov Institute of Terrestrial Magnetism, Ionosphere and Radio Wave Propagation of the Russian Academy of Sciences. 199034, St. Petersburg, Universitetskaya nab., 5, lit. B. E-mail: ms_petr@mail.ru